Introduction Blog

Explorations in Art

My name is Ella and I am from Juneau, Alaska. I've grown up in the outdoors, backpacking, camping, boating, etc. My favorite activities are soccer, climbing, running, and skiing. I have two brothers that are 18 and 21, and two dogs, a springer and a golden doodle. My main interest is psychoanalysis/psychology. I am taking this course to gain a deeper understanding of art, which I don't know much about, besides singing and playing the violin. 
I attend the University of Vermont, and there is a beautiful museum called Fleming Museum on campus. Fleming is where I learned that there is much more to art than I've ever realized. Going in there to just look and try to interpret the different pieces was a catalyst for choosing this course. 
I am really interested in sketches and portraits, and I really love landscape pieces. I love when people can put multiple meanings into their art. I also love how broad the term "art" is. 
The most interesting art piece I've ever heard of is Rhythm 0 by Marina Abramovich, where she placed 72 items in front of her and lets bystanders do whatever they want to her for six hours. She even said she was ready to die for the art piece. Below is an image of Marina near the end of the piece, where men loaded a gun and had her point it at herself with her finger on the trigger. 
 Rhythm 0 - The Horrendous Experiment That Proved the Evil Side of Humanity  | Short History
A video that relates to art that I really like is this violin concerto composed by Beethoven and played by Itzhak Perlman. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abramovich is one of those cutting edge artists. Although her work is really important, it doesn't look like it is a trend that is being taken up by a younger generation of artists - of course that could all change. I love that you are open to see what art can mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also trying to expand my knowledge and gain a better understanding of Art! I never thought of music as Art but after reading your blog, it definitely changed my perspective since the term "Art" is broad. The art piece you provided of Marina Abramovich is really interesting. I've never read or seen this type of art before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know much about art and I am excited to learn more about art. I never heard about "Rhythm 0 by Marina Abramovich," till I read your blog. It is interesting that she was willing to die to create her art piece. I am going to look up the pieces that she set out for people to use. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classical music always reminds me of the Disney movie Fantastia...no words, just music. The music tells the story, Disney just gave us his interpretation of the music. But he used the music to guide his story along, express character emotions and appeal to the emotions of the audience, and as a way to differentiate the tone between light and dark as shown in the sorcerer's apprentice and the night on bald mountain scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abramovich's piece pictured is a new one on me. That display is shocking and to me unappealing. That's not say that I don't consider it art, it certainly is art, representing an amalgamation of contributions from the passers by. It must be a dark place full of dark people, given how it concluded. Her devotion to the piece certainly is admirable. I'd like to know more about the revolver, it looks like an Iver Johnson break top, likely in some odd Eastern European caliber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My God though, that music was beautiful. It brought to mind the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, likely my first exposure to classical music. With such a fast beat in some places you could have overlaid an Indiana Jones movie over it, with the more heartfelt places being where the villain shoots Sean Connery.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I enjoy that piece you just showed. It's a powerful piece that truly reflects society and I've never seen it before. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Italian Renaissance

Art Analysis